Peru map

Information

What?

A small (58 beds) health care facility.

Where?

Ricardo Palma, on the outskirts of Chosica, a city of 500,000 30km east of Lima on the carretera central.

Number of volunteers required?

There is room at the Hogar to accommodate up to five volunteers.

Other requirements?

At least a basic knowledge of Spanish. As the Hogar San Pedro is a health care facility, an interest in health issues and / or medicine would be appropriate.

Benefits?

The facilities for the volunteers are excellent. The Hogar can accommodate five (or more) volunteers in single or double rooms, most with bathroom or shower, access to a kitchen, a common room and a large roof balcony. Chosica has an Andean climate, which is warm and sunny year round; it hardly ever rains. A volunteer programme with partner parish churches in Canada and some European countries has already been established, so the people of the Hogar know how to integrate volunteers and make thenm extremely welcome.

Minimum length of stay?

Periods from four weeks to a year are possible. The longer the stay, the more opportunities are avauilable to the volunteer.

Volunteer tasks?

The medical “mission” makes the Hogar San Pedro different from other volunteer locations with ‘healthy’ people. Anybody interested in health care and medical problems which a medical practitioner meets on a daily basis in Peru, would find volunteering here interesting and exciting.

The nurses and Dr Soko are very good at explaining the different probems / diseases of individual patients and are quick at teaching the volunteers, so that volunteers can soon work more and more independently. Working with patients in Peru often makes it necessary to improvise, as not all the materials for the best possible treatment are always available.

Apart from this medical aspect of life at the Hogar, there is a great range of other work opportunities. These include helping in the kitchen, in the administration, translating texts, playing with the children, teaching languages, offering small workshops and acticities of a cultural or artistic nature, organising games evenings, and so forth. Only a volunteer’s own creativity will create limitations!

With patience, time and determination it could be possible to set up a programme in the nearby village of Huayaringa. Some of the patients are from here, where there is a local chaurch and a small school with many wonderful kids.

Details?

Hogar San Pedro was founded in 1979 by P. Eusebio Menard, who is also the founder of the “Misionarios de los Santos Apostoles”, a Catholic order. The Hogar is located in Ricardo Palma, on the outskirts of Chosica, a city of 500,000 30km east of Lima in Peru.

The Hogar provides health care for poor people. It has 58 beds, of which 13 are reserved for children. The medical problems range from malnutrition to physical and menatl illnesses as well as infectious diseases. The main group of pateints suffers from tuberculosis and stays at the Hogar for tow to three years, until the disease is cured. Other patients live at the hogar as it provides them with a place of work, a roof over their heads and food, none of which they would otherwise have. A third group stays for a shorter time and comes in to the Hogar for daily treatments.

Nearly all of the buildings have been rebuilt or decorated in the past few years. Its standard is good when compared to many other health centres in Peru. The bildings are spread around a mini ‘park’, with trees, grass and goats – a very wholseome atmosphere in which to return to health.There is a house containing rooms for the volunteers and space for the clothing bazaar, a separate bulding for the dining room and kitchen and a third with the cleaning and washing facilities.

The Hogar’s funding needs are 70% met by foreign donations through a networkk of parishes in Canada, Germany and the Netherlands and friends of the “Misionarios”. The Hogar aims to raise the other 30% by selling used clothes donated from overseas. All donations are welcome, be they monetary or material.

Current volunteers?

None.

Former volunteers?

None.

IMPORTANT: FROM 2007 HOGAR SAN PEDRO CURRENTLY REQUIRES ITS VOLUNTEERS TO BE AT LEAST 22 YEARS OLD AND TO HAVE SOME MEDICAL EXPERIENCE